Monday, February 22, 2010

In honor of...

In honor of Valentine's Day Abe and I celebrated it on Saturday, like most of you I suppose. We started off the day by eating dutch babies and finding a place to store our V-Day present until the weather gets better. We got ourselves a patio set and are excited to put it to use! I hope there will be many a game played on the table while watching the golfers play through hole 9. As for that evening, Abe and I spent it with some happy Chinese families. See I am reading this book called "Garlic and Sapphires" which is amazing.
It's about a food critic from the New York Times. The critics sense for food is one of a kind. The way she describes the food she eats is something that I can only dream about. I mean she can get down to every last spice a dish contains. So anyway, in one chapter she talks about eating dim sum at a NYC Chinese restaurant and ever since then I have been craving dim sum. So, Abe was nice enough to indulge me and we went to Cafe Anh Han for dim sum. We were the only Caucasians in the place. And by the end of our meal we were SO satisfied. (man what I would give to be a food critic, the one in the Deseret News, in my opinion of course, needs to be replaced)

Anyway, back to the dim sum, if you don't know what it is then take a gander at the pics below or go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dim_sum
If you plan on trying dim sum let me recommend the steamed buns with bbq pork

After our Chinese outing we hit up the dollar theater, since we're still trying to save a buck or two or three or four. It was a great Valentine's Day which was followed by a yummy dinner at the Young's on Sunday for a true homemade V-Day meal - steak and tatoes!

Me and my Valentine (aka Abraham William Johnson)

One other in honor of...

In honor of Mardi Gras, homemade Beignetwere made and devoured last week! I think that this will become a tradition because they were just so tasty and not too hard to make. I just love southern food and New Orleans has some of the best food around. mMMmm doesn't all that oil look tasty.
Beignets:
1 c. all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
1 well-beaten egg

Combine egg and milk, gradually add flour, baking powder and salt. Beat well. Drop by teaspoons into 2 inches of hot oil, fry brown. Drain on paper toweling. Makes approximately 2 dozen. Serve with jam, jelly, or syrup.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! This is Melissa's sister Aubrey, I was perusing your blog - hope that is not creepy??!! - and was reading about your little adventure eating dim sum at a little cafe. I have had not luck finding it's location and I would really like to! Do you have an addy for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aubrey! Thanks for viewing our blog! I hope you guys are doing well. Hopefully this isn’t getting to you too late. Here’s CafĂ© Anh Hong’s address: 1465 South State Street, SLC … it’s in a strip mall not far from the Community College’s South Campus. Hope that helps! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete